EMPIRE™ Turf Installation Guide - How To Lay Turf Properly
Empire prefers to be installed when the weather is not too cold. It is best to avoid laying Empire in the following months in certain regions:
Please note these dates are to be used as a guide only.
Avoid laying 15th March - 15th September: ACT (Including similar climates such as Bathurst, Armidale and Ballarat)
Avoid laying 25th April - 25th August: Victoria, SA, WA
Avoid laying 15th May - 15th August: Sydney
Empire can be layed anytime of the year in Brisbane and north QLD.
This is the same for all Zoysia types. Empire can actually be laid in the cooler months in Sydney provided the turf is kept moist till it roots out, but as it takes up to 7 weeks to root out in winter, we feel it is best to wait for warmer weather. In warmer weather Empire will establish relatively quickly from turf. In early spring or autumn it may take a week longer than other turf types to establish, but what's a week compared to a life-time of low maintenance?
- 1. Remove all building waste & weeds
- 2. Spread a free draining soil to a depth of 7-15cm (roots can penetrate much deeper) or loosen ground and mix in appropriate soil conditioners. Phone your supplier for more advice on this option. For sandy soils, simply mix in organic material and rotary hoe.
- 3. Level the surface using a screeding board, lawn leveller or similar device.
- 4. In hot months, moisten the soil but do not make the soil too wet. Do not lay turf on hot, dry soil.
- 5. Lay turf as soon as possible after delivery.
- 6. On hot days, lay a section of turf and lightly water. Repeat until all turf is laid. On cool days, turf can be laid all at once. Roll and water thoroughly within one hour of laying turf.
- 7. Water thoroughly for 7-10 days or until turf is established. Take care that the water is saturating the soil beneath the turf. In colder months, the turf will take longer to establish. The turf should not dry out until roots are established.
- 8. When the soil has firmed and the EMPIRE ZOYSIA has rooted down, usually 2-3 weeks after laying (longer during winter), mow lightly to tidy up the lawn.
- 9. It's important to use of a slow release fertiliser one month after laying (applying fertiliser before this time has shown not to make a difference to lawn establishment).